Saturday, July 3, 2010

Halfway done? Say it ain't so

With the blink of an eye, three weeks have passed, and while most of my compadres have another five weeks to look forward to in Oaxaca, I am officially more than halfway done with my trip. Indeed, as I write this, I'm realizing that we have but one week left in Oaxaca city, only one week left of Spanish classes and seminars and homestay, before we set off on a weeklong field trip down to the isthmus. L and I have been trying to explore as much as possible without getting too touristy, but even so, I feel like I've just barely cracked this city.

So far, highlights for me have included the field trip to the women's weaving cooperative in Teotitlan del Valle, baseball games rooting for the Oaxaca Guerreros, and, little by little, stringing together longer sentences in Spanish. Of course, on the food front, there have been too many highlights to document individually, but as I look over the pictures I've taken, I'm especially fondly remembering the posole and tlayuda of my first few days here, the abundance of quesillo and amazing salsas that accompany just about everything our host mom makes, the fresh salsa and tortillas (made by us!) at the women's weaving cooperative in Teotitlan del Valle, and the refreshing nieves from the mercado 20 de noviembre.







Sadly, I fear the next two weeks will be passing all too quickly; I only hope to cram as much as possible into my limited time remaining here.

No comments:

Post a Comment