Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Oaxaca List

Things I will NOT miss about Oaxaca:
- Heat with no hope of air conditioning respites anywhere.
- The mosquitoes.
- The flies.
- Lack of toilet seats.
- Fearing death every time I step off the curb and into the street, regardless of the color of the traffic light or the walk signal (when there is one).


Things I WILL miss about Oaxaca:
- Laurentina, my awesome host mom, and her awesome family.
- Cajeta paletas from Popeyes.
- Fresh fruit juices everywhere.
- Amazing salsas.
- Quesillo.
- Tacos al pastor (con pina!).
- Frijoles that just taste so much better than any other versions I've had in the States.
- Cheap buses that take me everywhere I need to go.
- Cheap taxis to supplement the cheap buses.
- Cheap everything.
- Small tiendas on every block. Sure, Soriana (aka Mexican Walmart) is easy and convenient, but it's also nice to know that I can just go to the corner papeleria for 1 or 2 envelopes, to the corner store for a bottle of water, or to the corner pharmacy for some contact lens solution.
- The fun-loving, hilarious, brilliant people of this Oaxaca seminar who made the past five weeks an amazing experience that I no doubt will be talking about for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment